Friday, August 27, 2010

John Singer Sargent







John Singer Sargent. European and lived during 19th century if I remember correctly (Search for yourself!!!). Awesome oil painter. Famous for his "painterly" techniques. Loved even during his life. Had a nice living from all those portrait commissions. 

I like the first one because the guy behind the woman is so serious... and nice pose. I also like how the woman in front has more light casted on her, making her more of the main figure in the portrait and the man more of a supporting role. Kinda weird since this is a commission for a married couple (Mrs. and Mrs. I.N. Phelps Stokes) and the man probably paid for it...-_-;; O well... I guess the husband didn't mind his wife becoming the main role. 

I especially love the last painting, Lady with a Rose(This is a nickname. It has an actual title but don't remember it.). The woman is a babe...

These are just few that I like. He has created numerous paintings which are quite famous. Search for his name, and you'll see familiar paintings...

No comments:

Post a Comment